CONSTITUTION AND BYE – LAWS
The society shall be called Jabalpur Divisional Ophthalmic Society.
The society shall hold its office at-IMA Building, Wright Town Jabalpur.
The object of the society will be the cultivation and promotion of the study and practice of ophthalmology and to promote social contacts among the Ophthalmologists of Jabalpur Division:-
- Encouraging Scientific research and experiment work on ophthalmic problems.
- Providing facilities for research and training of research work.
- Holding scientific discussions and reading papers on Ophthalmology.
- Establishing and maintaining reference library & furnishing them with books, reviews, magazines etc. relating to Ophthalmology.
- Bringing the members of the Association, periodically together at meeting.
- Holding properties moveable or immovable that may be necessary for the aforesaid objects to purchase, sell, and rent or mortgage the same for the purpose of the Society.
- Receiving annual subscription from members, receiving donations from members as well as non-members hold the fund in trust for the advancement of science of Ophthalmology.
- Co-operating with other associations of doctors Medical Profession.
- Making rules for the society when necessary, inter alia relating to the discipline and professional conduct of members of the Society.
- Taking such steps as may be necessary or conductive to the objective of the Society.
The membership of the society shall be of following:-
Medical practitioners possessing of M.B.B.S. Degree and a Post – Graduate qualification in Ophthalmology recognized by Medical Council of India shall be eligible for member ship of the society as regular member after the payment of a fixed fee.
On application the society may accept PG Members who are studying to complete post-graduation in the field of ophthalmology from a recognized medical college. A fixed fee shall be applicable for this membership on an annual basis. On completion of post-graduation this membership may be converted to Regular Life Member after payment of applicable fees.
On application the society may elect associate members from the following categories for a term of one year.
- Medical practitioners holding allopathic qualifications under schedule I & II of Medical Council of INDIA.
- Non-Medical Scientists interested in ophthalmic science.
- All post graduate students of Ophthalmology.
This membership can be renewed every year.
Any person who has rendered outstanding service to Ophthalmology in general and Indian Ophthalmology in particular may be elected as a Honorary member, provided his name is unanimously recommended by the Executive Committee and passed by a 2/3rd majority at a meeting of the general body. He shall be entitled to participate in all the activities of the society but shall not be entitled to vote at the meeting for the office in the Society.
An outstanding member of the medical profession may be invited to attend a meeting of the Society by the president.
A Regular Life Member of the Society of 75 years age or above will be eligible to be an Honorary Life Member
Membership of the Society will commence from the date of acceptance of his/her application. A new member whose application is under consideration may attend and take part in the deliberations of a conference of the society but will not have right to vote till he is ratified by the General Body.
Membership of member form the society will cease:
- By the voluntary resignation as from a specified date
- A notice in writing to a member for unprofessional / unethical behavior/ conduct will served so that he can explain the situation to the Executive Committee at a pre- decided time if the Executive Committee decides by a 2/3rd majority and the same is approved by the General Body. The membership of the member will be discontinued.
- All regular members in good standing shall be entitled as of right to participate in all activities of the Society including the right to vote and hold office in the society,
- All associate members, PG members, honorary members shall be entitled to participate in all activities of the society. They shall not be entitled to vote at the meetings of the Society or hold office in the society.
- Visiting members shall be entitled to participate only in the scientific and social activities of the conference.
- Regular and Life members shall constitute the General Body of the Society.
- It shall govern the affairs of the society through the elected office bearers and committees.
- The General Body will meet annually.
- Quorum: A minimum of 10% of the total members shall form the quorum.
- Adjourned meeting: In case there is no quorum at the meeting or during the meeting or ordinary general body the meeting shall adjourn for at least 15 minutes & shall meet at the same venue. The adjourned meeting shall not require any quorum.
- The special General Body meeting may be called by any of the following for a specific purpose.
- The President.
- On requisition signed by at least 2/3rd members of the Executive Committee.
- On requisition signed by at least 15 regular members of the Society or 1/5th members of roll whichever is less.
The affairs of the society shall be managed by the Executive Committee elected by the General Body.
The committee will consist of:
- President: To be elected a GBM (for a term of two years)
- Vice President: To be elected a GBM (for a term of two years).
- General Secretary: To be elected a GBM (for a term of 2 years)
- Joint secretary: To be elected a GBM (for a term of 2 years)
- Treasurer: To be elected a GBM (for a term of 2 years. Tenure of office may be extended by the executive)
- Chairman Website & Information Technology (post created in 2004 when the first website of JDOS was created) (for a term of 2 years. Tenure of office may be extended by the executive)
- Ex-officio Members:
- Two Immediate Past Presidents
- Past Gen. Secretary
|Post||Tenure||No. of Terms|
|President||2 years from the month of commencement||2|
|Vice-president||2 years from the month of commencement||2|
|General Secretary||2 years from the month of commencement||2|
|Joint Secretary||2 years from the month of commencement||2|
|Treasurer||2 years from the month of commencement||at the discretion of the Executive|
|Chairman Website & Information Technology||2 years from the month of commencement||at the discretion of the Executive|
- The Executive Committee shall act on behalf of the General Body for running the affairs of the society under its constitution and Bye-laws.
- It shall carry cut the policies and mandate of the society and shall be responsible to it.
- The President will act on behalf of the Society and represent the society during his tenure.
- The President shall regulate the proceedings of the society and the Executive Committee.
- The President shall uphold the constitution and enforce the rules and regulations of the society and meeting of the General Body and the Executive Committee.
- In the absence of President the Vice President shall officiate for him.
- The General Secretary shall manage all correspondence and shall keep the minutes of the society and committee meetings which will be read and confirmed at the following meetings respectively. He shall have charge of the office & keep register of all papers communicated to him. He shall be responsible to the Society for carrying out the resolutions of the Society. All records shall be open to inspection by any member of Executive Committee.
- The property of the Society shall be under care & control of General Secretary on the name of the Society.
- The General Secretary shall perform the usual functions of his office and shall be responsible to the society for carrying out the resolutions of the Society.
- The Joint Secretary shall do all the duties assigned to him by the General Secretary.
The Treasurer shall receive money due to the Society and shall make all payments in accordance with the rules framed by the Committee and shall keep an accurate account of all such transactions and every receipt given shall be signed by him. He will present a statement regarding the financial position of the Society which will be audited by the certified auditors and present the same at the annual meeting of the General Body for adoption.
- Scientific Committee Fund.
- Principle & Interest from all investments, all fees from members, donations and the money received way of advertisement in Society Journal, will also go in the General Account
On dissolution of the Society the balance assets shall not be distributed among members of the Society or any of them but shall be given or transferred to Association or Associations, Institution or Society having similar objectives as determined by the votes of not less than 3/4th of the members present in the meeting at the time of the dissolution.
Encouraging Ophthalmologists to become member of divisional society.
A. Regular Life Member:
The Life membership fee for regular life members will be Rs. 1000/- only ( Rupees One Thousand only ) The subscription fee may be changed on recommendation of the Executive Committee and a approval by a majority of 2/3rd of members present at a meeting of the General Body.
There shall be no Annual Membership Subscriptions with the exception of PG members as under.
B. PG Member:
The PG Member shall pay Rupees 250/- (two hundred and fifty only) per year. PG Membership will be converted to Regular Life Member on completion of post graduation after paying the balance amount (1000 less the amount already paid per year).
- It shall have power to invest and deal with the money of the society and to borrow such sums or money as it may resolve as tending to benefit the society.
- Such money and properties of the Society as are not utilized for the objects of the society. May be invested in such manner in such Banks and in such a way as the Executive Committee may at their discretion think proper and the Executive Committee may charge the investments in order to better fulfill the objects of the society.
- The Executive Committee will need a clear mandate from General Body to purchase, construct or acquire on lease or in exchange or on hire, by gift or otherwise, and real or personal property and any right or any privilege necessary or convenient for the purpose of the society and to improve, develop, manage, sell, mortgage, dispose off, turn to account or otherwise deal with all or any part of the property of the society not vested in the trust.
- The Executive Committee may constitute sub – committees as it deems fit for furtherance of the objects of the Society
- Decisions and recommendations of the Executive Committee shall be subject to the approval of the General Body.
- The member of the executive committee shall meet at least once a year preferably last before the holding of the Annual Conference. 1/3rd of the total number of members shall form a quorum.
- The General Secretary shall circulate the agenda for the meeting at least a month before the holding of the Meeting.
- The President, when present, shall preside at the meeting of the Executive Committee. In his absence the Vice President shall officiate for him. In the absence of the President & Vice President the meeting may elect its own Chairman, and for the purpose of the meeting. He shall have all the powers of the President.
- The President or Chairman in the event of tie will have casting vote.
- The voting may be by show of hands or by ballot whichever is thought desirable by the President.
- Whenever it is found inconvenient to call a meeting of the Executive Committee and whenever the General Secretary deems it desirable that the opinion of the Executive Committee be obtained they shall do so by post and act in accordance with the views of the majority.
- Trust Account: It will be in connection with such donations as may be received from time to time deposited with society as trustees for the encouragement and improvement of the Standard of Original papers at the Ophthalmic Conference.
- Reserve Fund: This will include the various fixed deposits.
- Life Membership
- Fixed Deposit for various awards.
- Funds saved after holding M.P. Ophthalmic conference.
- The interest from the Fixed Deposit will be transferred to the General Account to be utilized for the specific purpose for which the fixed deposit has been made.
- The Person in charge of the various accounts will submit the audited statement of expenditure to the Treasurer.
- The Treasurer will than make a complete audited statement of the account to be put to the Executive Committee and then to the General Body each year.
- The Treasurer will also prepare an annual budget of the Society and place it before the Executive Committee for approval. The budget as approved by the Executive Committee shall be placed before the General Body for final sanction.
- The General Secretary may incur expenditure in unforeseen circumstances and not provided it the budget up to Rs. 1000/- only and another Rs. 1000/- with the written permission of the President When requires Rs. 1000/- may be advanced to him/her for preparation of Conference or for Executive meeting.
- The Secretary will submit his/her account to the Treasurer. The Treasurer will be responsible to present it.
The General Secretary will arrange to hold monthly scientific meeting in consultation with the Divisional Society President.
- They will be affiliated to the MP. State Ophthalmic Society.
- Each Affiliated Divisional Society shall pay an annual fee as fixed by state society
- Each affiliated Divisional Society must have at least 6 members on its roll who are also members of the M.P. State Ophthalmic Society.
- Divisional Society will send names of its representatives in the State Executive Committee 2 months before conference.
Society under its constitution shall frame bye-laws for smooth functioning of the affairs of the society.
AMENDMENT OF THE CONSTITUTION:
- A Constitutional Amendment may be made by a special General Body Meeting called for the purpose by the Executive Body Such meeting can be called at interval of 5 years by the Executive Committee or the General Body.
- To pass an amendment the constitution 2/3rd of the members present at the special General Body Meeting must vote in favour Quorum for such Special General Body Meeting shall be same as far any General Body meeting.
AMENDMENT IN BYE-LAWS:
- Amendment in bye-laws may be made by duly proposed and seconded motion through members of the society duly signed to be submitted to the General Secretary six weeks before the Annual General Body Meeting.
- A simple majority of the General body will be required in the General Body Meeting to decide on the issue.